Friday, May 26, 2006

Bally's For The Mind

“I’ve had many discussions one on one with atheists who have asked some penetrating questions. At some point in the discussion, after we have looked at some of the abstract philosophical issues, I’ll sort of change the topic for just a second and ask a straightforward blunt question of my friends. I’ll say to them - ‘What do you do with your guilt?’

You would think that the immediate response would be simply to say , ‘Well I don’t have to deal with my guilt because since I don’t believe in God, I don’t believe that there is any ultimate standard of right and wrong, and so “sin” is simply a convention based [on societal custom] so ultimately there is no such thing as guilt so I don’t have to deal with it.’

But it is rare to get that kind of response. Usually there is an abrupt change in the tone and in the demeanor of people engaged in this kind of a serious discussion. There is almost always a pregnant pause, a profound silence where you can tell that they are suddenly troubled in the midst of this discussion and they are uncomfortable.”

- R. C. Sproul


From Renewing Your Mind radio broadcast, 05/26/2006 - “Forgiveness, Resurrection and Life Everlasting”

No comments:

Post a Comment